The Executive Director of City of Asylum will be taking over from the co-founders, who have directed the organization since 2004. This transition has been long-planned, as the next step to follow the successful development of our new $10.7 million Alphabet City facility and the expansion of our programming.
We seek a leader who is committed to defending, celebrating, and building a community valuing creative free expression, who can address the day-to-day challenges with entrepreneurial energy and imagination.
External leadership in relationship-building with funders, media, donors, writers and artists, and programming partners is a key role of our Executive Director. The range of our activities is unusually diverse for an organization of our size, so the capacity to identify areas of personal strength and to delegate effectively is important.
The Executive Director is primarily responsible for the following:
Leadership, Vision, and Management
- Assures City of Asylum imaginatively achieves our mission and maintains our values, which are rooted in the idea of hospitality.
- Creatively evolves our organization.
- Leads and manages staff: Direct reports include managers for external relations, marketing, finance, and programs.
- Assures that City of Asylum refreshes and achieves its strategic plan and its business/capitalization plan.
- Seeks opportunities for collaboration in programming.
- Maintains and supports a high-performing and passionate Board of Directors.
- Provides leadership in developing organizational, programmatic, and financial plans with the Board of Directors and carries out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Is willing to change and is opportunistic.
Revenue Generation and Community Relations
- Builds ongoing relationships with philanthropic foundations, individual donors and corporate sponsors, community and cultural organizations, and political leaders.
- Conceptualizes and edits grant proposals.
- Is imaginative in using our assets to grow earned income.
- Is our primary media contact and represents us to the public.
- Continues to grow our residency and presenting programs so that they are best-in-class and in the aggregate serve as national and international models.
- Assures that our audiences are representative of the entire community and that our programs increase empathy and understanding.
- Uses technology to integrate global partners into our programs, to remove barriers of distance, language, and cost.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A successful track record of success in key responsibilities.
- Working style that is transparent, encouraging, and collaborative.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with strong public speaking ability.
- Commitment to and passion for mission.
- Pluses: multi-lingual, international experience or experience in minority communities, creative network.
This position offers a competitive compensation and a traditional benefits package found with other nonprofit organizations of similar size, scope, and scale. Option of a rent-free house.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter explaining why you feel you will be successful in the position to ED@cityofasylumpittsburgh.org.
City of Asylum Pittsburgh is committed to results-oriented management aimed at achieving equal employment opportunity and shall apply good faith efforts to seek out, employ, train, and promote women and minority group members.
Non-discrimination Policy: City of Asylum is committed to results-oriented management aimed at achieving equal employment opportunity and shall apply good faith efforts to seek out, employ, train, and promote underutilized women and minority group members.