City of Asylum Emerging Poet Laureate of Allegheny County will:
- serve a one year term (April 2020-March 2021)
- receive a prize of $1,000
- read at the award ceremony on April 29
- participate in readings programmed by City of Asylum in diverse venues across the county throughout the term
Finalists for Emerging Poet Laureate will be offered an honorarium to participate in curating the series All Pittsburghers are Poets: Poem of the Week, published online in Samsponia Way Magazine.
- Applicant must reside in Allegheny County
- Applicant must have a growing history of published work and experience with civic engagement
- Applicant must demonstrate a commitment to developing their poetic practice
A completed application form includes:
(1) contact information
(2) resume or CV with a record of past publications and performances
(3) artist bio and statement
(4) complete answers to short-answer questions
(5) a poetry writing sample (10 pages maximum)
You may submit links to unedited video or audio yourself reading your poetry (10 minutes maximum, self-film accepted). Only the content of your performance, not the production quality, will be judged.
You may submit one unpublished poem for early consideration for the series All Pittsburghers are Poets: Poem of the Week, published online in Sampsonia Way Magazine beginning May 2020. See application for details.
The deadline to submit applications is March 2, 2020.
The final judge, who will be announced shortly, will select the winner. Your application materials are confidential. City of Asylum reserves the right to reject any incomplete or ineligible applications.
Employees of RAD or City of Asylum may not apply.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com.