City of Asylum Emerging Poet Laureate of Allegheny County will:
- serve a one year term (April 2020-March 2021)
- receive a prize of $1,000
- participate in readings programmed by City of Asylum in diverse venues across the county throughout the term
Finalists for Emerging Poet Laureate will be offered an honorarium to participate in curating the series All Pittsburghers are Poets: Poem of the Week, published online in Samsponia Way Magazine.
- Applicant must reside in Allegheny County
- Applicant must have a growing history of published work and experience with civic engagement
- Applicant must demonstrate a commitment to developing their poetic practice
A completed application form includes:
(1) contact information
(2) resume or CV with a record of past publications and performances
(3) artist bio and statement
(4) complete answers to short-answer questions
(5) a poetry writing sample (10 pages maximum)
You may submit links to unedited video or audio yourself reading your poetry (10 minutes maximum, self-film accepted). Only the content of your performance, not the production quality, will be judged.
You may submit one unpublished poem for early consideration for the series All Pittsburghers are Poets: Poem of the Week, published online in Sampsonia Way Magazine beginning May 2020. See application for details.
Applications are closed for the 2020-2021 term.
Meet the Judge
Stephen Motika is the Director and Publisher of Nightboat Books. He was for many years on the staff of Poets House in New York City. He is the author of the poetry collection Western Practice (2012) and the poetry chapbooks Arrival and At Mono (2007), In the Madrones (2011), and Private Archive (2016). He is also the editor of Tiresias: The Collected Poems of Leland Hickman (2009).
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com.