There are two ways to watch the program: in-person at our venue Alphabet City or live-streamed online. If you’re coming live, you can also dine at the in-house restaurant 40 North—before, during, or after the concert.
Please visit Open Table to make a reservation.
Please scroll to the bottom to review our Covid-19 safety policies for indoor programs @ Alphabet City, including the proof of vaccination requirement.
An evening of original music composed by Dr. Aaron J. Johnson. Dr. AJ’s music reflects a wide spectrum of the black experience. Ranging from the Carnival to field hollers and from fellowship to desperate longing, this music is drenched with blues and funk, but also expresses the hopes and strength of the struggle for social justice and human rights.
This concert also features special guest Dr. Salim Washington — saxophonist-composer-scholar-activist from Durban, South Africa.
Aaron J. Johnson–trombone, conch shells
Salim Washington–tenor sax, flute, English horn
James T. Johnson, Jr–piano
Aaron J. Johnson is Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh where he studies and teaches jazz, funk, film music, and MIR (music information retrieval). He studies the social aspects of music production and presentation, the efforts of musicians to counter powerful institutional forces, and musicians’ use of media. Dr. Johson has electrical engineering degrees from Carnegie Mellon (BSEE) and Georgia Tech (MS) and a PhD in Music from Columbia University. He plays trombone, tuba, bass clarinet, and conch shells.
Covid-19 policies for indoor programs [at Alphabet City] as of September 1, 2021
- To keep our audience safe, we will require proof of vaccination (physical card or photo) to attend all events at Alphabet City.
- There will be special accommodations for children under 12 and people with medical conditions or religious beliefs preventing them from being vaccinated. These audience members will be asked to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of the performance start time, or a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 6 hours of the performance start time.
- All guests will be required to wear masks.
- Audience size will be limited to 60% total capacity and seats will be set up with moderate social distancing.
- Please remember the in-house restaurant 40 North is open and diners will not be wearing masks while seated.