Yoko Suzuki on "The Music of Geri Allen" : Jazz & StringsTuesday, October 26, 2021 @ 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
There are two ways to watch the program: in-person at our venue Alphabet City or live-streamed online.
Please scroll to the bottom to review our Covid-19 safety policies for indoor programs @ Alphabet City, including the proof of vaccination requirement.
Audience favorite Yoko Suzuki returns for a unique and exciting concert showcasing “The Music of Geri Allen” live from Alphabet City.
The 3rd concert in a series of Geri Allen performances by Yoko Suzuki, a former student and colleague of Geri Allen. This concert features all-new arrangements of Geri’s Work with unique instrumentation. These songs are rarely heard and the concert reveals Geri’s genius and the complex puzzle of her work.
This concert is extra special as it features collaborations between jazz and classical music from the Kassia Ensemble. A unique configuration that speaks perfectly to Geri’s singular musical style.
Geri Allen is remembered as one of the most important musicians of our time because of the intricacy of her jazz compositions. During her 35 year career, Geri composed over 100 songs, many of them so highly complex in melody, harmony, and rhythm that musicians do not typically attempt to play them live; it takes multiple players to recreate songs that Allen played on her own.
- Theron Brown (piano)
- Michael Barnabe (keys)
- Denzel Chismar-Oliver (bass)
- James Johnson III (drums)
- Yoko Suzuki (alto sax)
- Ashley Freeburn (violin)
- Katya Janpoladyan (cello)
- Dawn Posey (violin)
- Si Yu (viola)
- Lorenze Jefferson (conductor)
Covid-19 policies for indoor programs [at Alphabet City] as of September 1, 2021
- To keep our audience safe, we will require proof of vaccination (physical card or photo) to attend all events at Alphabet City.
- There will be special accommodations for children under 12 and people with medical conditions or religious beliefs preventing them from being vaccinated. These audience members will be asked to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of the performance start time, or a negative COVID-19 antigen test taken within 6 hours of the performance start time.
- All guests will be required to wear masks.
- Audience size will be limited to 60% total capacity and seats will be set up with moderate social distancing.