Trinidad & Tobago Independence Celebration with Sabira Cole Film FestivalTuesday, August 31, 2021 @ 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
*Please note there are two ways to watch this program:
Screened in person at the Sampsonia Way Tent or live-streamed online via City of Asylum @ Home. Both options are free but advanced registration is encouraged.
- To join us at the tent, click “Attend in-person” above
- To tune-in from home, click “Watch online” above
About the program:
August 31 is Trinidad and Tobago’s Independence Day! To commemorate, the Sabira Cole Film Festival (SCFF) and the Brooklyn-based JouvayFest Collective (JFC) have put together an evening not-to-be missed.
- 6:15 – 7pm: pre-show music from Steel Pan Jam
- 7pm: screening of Glamour Boyz Again. This incredible documentary focuses on two of Calypso’s most venerated figures—the Mighty Sparrow and Lord Superior.
- 8pm: panel discussion with Glamour Boyz filmmaker and Caribbean film experts.
- Throughout the event: Trinidadian finger food provided by Shadobeni
The Sabira Cole Film Festival (SCFF) is built to serve Pittsburgh’s Pan-African arts and activist communities. We stand on the foundation Sabira built by running the Sembene Film and Arts Festival for 11 years, before tragically passing in February of 2020. SCFF showcases films and other art/cultural events that speak, unflinchingly, to the important issues facing the modern African Diaspora.